Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars Picks

Instead of live blogging, I will be watching the 80th Annual Academy Awards tonight with some friends. To make things fun, I will continue to try to pick the winners like last year. Here are my partial picks for some of the winners from the list of nominations.

*******

**** Best Short Film, Animated

Madame Tutli-Putli (2007): Chris Lavis, Maciek Szczerbowski (see my blogs here and here)

**** Best Motion Picture of the Year

No Country for Old Men (2007): Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

**** Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (2007)

**** Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Julie Christie for Away from Her (2006) (Note: In doing so, the Academy is also indirectly honouring Sarah Polley's great job in making Away from Her.)

**** Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men (2007)

**** Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton (2007)

**** Best Achievement in Directing

Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

**** Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Diablo Cody for Juno (2007)

**** Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

While I secretly hope Sarah Polley will win for Away from Her (2006) but I know the chance is bad.

**** Best Documentary, Features

No End in Sight (2007)
: Charles Ferguson, Audrey Marrs (World class research. I haven't seend this film but I am betting my $1 it will win. Will see.)

No comments: