Sunday, February 3, 2008

Democracy Springs from Brushstrokes?

Mr. Szeto Wah (everyone calls him “Wah Suk” in Cantonese, meaning “Uncle Wah“) has been fighting for democracy in Hong Kong and China for over 20 years. Uncle Wah is 77 years old now, and I have to say that I have tears (of support, of sadness …) in my eyes when I watched the following Google video of him writing his Chinese New Year calligraphy (”Fai cheun“, or “Brushstrokes of spring” as my friend translated) on the cold street of Hong Kong to raise funds to fight for democracy in Hong Kong and China.

It takes a lot of determination and stamina to keep fighting day in and day out for over 20 years. These days, I think the likes of Mr. Szeto Wah are really tough to come by anywhere in the world. Visit here to find a timetable of Uncle Wah writing his Fai cheun.

Thanks Daisann for blogging about Uncle Wah and his “Brushstrokes of spring” selling.

No comments: