Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscars Picks vs Results

The Oscars winners were announced last night. I got most right and three wrong in my picks for the 2008 Oscars. I am most disappointed that Madame Tutli-Putli didn’t win. :(

See also this CBC report with video.

*******

**** Best Short Film, Animated (Got this wrong but I still love my pick)

Madame Tutli-Putli (2007): Chris Lavis, Maciek Szczerbowski (see my blogs here and here)

**** Best Motion Picture of the Year (Got this right, no surprise here)

No Country for Old Men (2007): Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

**** Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Got this right, no surprise here)

Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (2007)

**** Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Got this wrong, big surprise here)

The official winner:

Marion Cotillard for La Mome (2007)

My pick:

Julie Christie for Away from Her (2006) (Note: In doing so, the Academy is also indirectly honouring Sarah Polley’s great job in making Away from Her.)

**** Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (Got this right, no surprise here)

Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men (2007)

**** Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Got this right)

Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton (2007)

**** Best Achievement in Directing (Got this right)

Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

**** Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen (Got this right)

Diablo Cody for Juno (2007)

**** Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published (Got this right)

Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

While I secretly hope Sarah Polley will win for Away from Her (2006) but I know the chance is bad.

**** Best Documentary, Features (Got this wrong)

Official winner:

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007): Alex Gibney, Eva Orner

Alex Gibney gave a wonderful speech (emphasis added),

This is dedicated to two people who are no longer with us, Dilawar, the young Afghan taxi driver, and my father, a navy interrogator who urged me to make this film because of his fury about what was being done to the rule of law. Let’s hope we can turn this country around, move away from the dark side and back to the light.

My pick:

No End in Sight (2007)
: Charles Ferguson, Audrey Marrs (World class research. I haven’t seend this film but I am betting my $1 it will win. Will see.)

No comments: